Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Your Last Sunset?

Orange, late summer sunsets.
Seems a lot of them lately have been
on our backs as we head home in the evenings. 
And I stop to notice them. 

We decided Friday night's sunset was the most beautiful 
we've ever seen.
To the West, a golden glow with clouds opening up 
for rays of light to fan out overhead like angels wings 
and to the East a rainbow lasting over an hour in a
thunderstorm cloud cover. 
I am very thankful I have someone who stops with me
to express gratitude for a sunset.

Last night, we were on our way home in the evening as the
sun was setting. 
We were coming home from the hospital where my husband's sister
lay dying of cancer.
We shared a quiet drive home and almost there, I turned to the
West to see yet another breathtaking sunset, and a big ball of golden
light radiating from the mountains. 
I could not help but wonder if this would be Evelyn's last sunset.
Certainly the sun is setting on her life. 
I think about these kinds of things. 
We all have our time. Our sun rises and our sun sets. 
We all go about our busy lives and I wonder how we
can get so busy we don't stop to appreciate a beautiful sunset. And there
are people out there who don't. 

It's been very much in the forefront of my mind how fast time flies lately.
I should have maybe yet another 30 good years ahead of me.
But I don't know when my time will come.
My final sunset.

We never know. 
But we should be stopping to appreciate the ones we can see right now, while we 
are here on this earth.


You might know by now I'm no so much talking about appreciating sunsets. 
I'm talking about appreciating what we have, and what we don't have. 
Making the most of our lives NOW. Or making the most of the least, in simplifying 
our lives. Calming down. Loving. Being patient. Our health. Paying attention.
Living and letting live. 

It's going fast, life. 

I hope you choose to stop and have a look at your next sunset. 
You never know when it may be your last. Savor it. 


No comments: